Monday, June 25, 2007

Virginia Woolf - Professions for Women (e-text)


Professions for Women spoke of Woolf's struggle with “the Angel in the House” who frequently intervened in an effort to keep her writing in line with society’s view of women. The Angel told Woolf that as a woman writer, she must always “be sympathetic; be tender; flatter; deceive; use all the arts and wiles of our sex. Never let anybody guess that you have a mind of your own. Above all, be pure.” The Angel kept getting in the way of Woolf’s writing, wasting her time, and provoking her until Woolf “caught her by the throat” and tried to kill her.

Woolf noted “Had I not killed her she would have killed me. She would have plucked the heart out of my writing.” The Angel was society’s expectation of what women should be - self-sacrificing, gentle, charming, flattering, and always willing to give of themselves for the benefit of others. Women were to rely on their pure, womanly virtues to take them through life and should never dare reveal their own minds.

Woolf went on to say the Angel “died hard” and the struggle continued as the “shadow of her wings fell on my page,” and she “heard the rustling of her skirts in the room,” in other words, the cultural limitations placed on women were always in the back of Woolf's mind. Woolf admitted that the Angel “was always creeping back when I thought I had dispatched her. Though I flatter myself that I killed her in the end, the struggle was severe…” “Killing the Angel in the House was part of the occupation of a woman writer.”

Woolf knew that in order to be a successful writer, she had to cast off society’s restrictions on what women should and should not write, and let her own thoughts and opinions come out. This was very hard for her as societal constraints were deeply ingrained in her. Woolf’s feminist outlook was a very unusual for her time. She challenged the norms and risked her female respectability by writing about topics never approached by women writers.

7 comments:

Krista Sitten said...

Brenda,

I really like the picture it is one of my favorites. I think I am going to have fun reading Woolf. It really seems that she stands up for herself. She is a hardcore woman. Good job on your posting.

~Krista~

Jonathan.Glance said...

Brenda,

Good focus on Woolf's Professions for Women, and good commentary on the quotations from that text. I would have liked to see you put Woolf in context with some of the other discussions we have seen this session on the roles for women, though.

Wanda said...

It occurs to me now to wonder why the struggle was with "the Angel in the House" as opposed to the Devil in the House? I have no idea why it took me so long to ask this question....since we typically blame the devil for those thoughts that haunt us...hummm.

You did a great job again explaining Woolf's need to rid herself of the "Angel." Good commentary!

Gloria Fletcher said...

Virginia Woolf, "I am woman, heard me roar"! Really enjoyed reading your comments.

LaDonna said...

your picture with your blog made it twice as fun to read!! good job with your explanations and visuals

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Salut!

Eu adoro os trabalhos da Virgínia Woolf! Ela foi uma mulher espetacular para sua época. Muito mudou e foi mudado com suas técnicas narrativas e sua concepção de mulher. A Fada do lar, como é traduzido aqui no Brasil, é uma métáfora universal que transcendeu em todas as sociedades, posto que as mulheres foram vitimadas de sua liberdade feminina.

Belizário R. Neto
From: João Pessoa, Brazil
MSN/orkut: beu.sjp@hotmail.com

Merci beaucoup!